2008년 9월 22일 월요일

a significant moment regarding racial identity

In my senior year in high school, my English teacher brought up a very interesting comment on racism.
"Imagine that you are on a blind date. You have been told that you will be dating the school basketball star. What image pops up in your mind? Another one: you have been told that you will be dating the captain of the school's math team. What kind of person will you be likely to expect?"
My teacher, a Korean-American born in California and a Berkeley graduate, then told the class that without doubt, probably everyone will think of a black student for the first situation and an Asian for the other one.
"Then you are all racists. Racism is not just about calling names or bouncing people off from a group. It is your thought process."
To tell you the truth, I was shocked. I don't know why; probably because that was the first time I have ever heard of an opinion so frank and direct from an American. And how clear and vivid his examples were! Only a year remaining until I start college in the U.S., I might as well would say that I had sort of an epiphany. His words definitely shed light on an idea rather remote and unrealistic to a person who spent most of his life in a homogeneous nation.

댓글 없음: